The Society for Investigative Dermatology (SID) Resident Retreat program is designed to facilitate new pathways providing Residents with the tools to create a successful and sustainable career in research.
The Resident and PhD Retreats are held in concert with the 2020 SID Annual Meeting, in Scottsdale, Arizona, which will be held on Wednesday, May 13 through Saturday, May 16, 2020. The Resident and PhD Retreat programs will kick off on Tuesday, May 12 at 7:00 p.m. with an informal reception at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa for the selected candidates and Retreat Faculty. The program will conclude on Wednesday, May 13 by 2:00 p.m., in advance of the start of the SID Annual Meeting’s program.
CRITERIA FOR CANDIDATE
- Applicants must have a MD or MD/PhD degree;
- Applicants must be enrolled in a US Dermatology Residency program;
- Applicants must be nominated by their Department Chairs and/or Program Directors to be considered;
- Ideal applicants are in the first or second year of their residency, or in a Post-Doctoral Fellowship;
- Topics are intended to provide information for them during the duration of their training;
- Applicants should be on track for research or academic careers.
CANDIDATE SELECTION PROCESS
- The SID Resident Retreat Committee will review the submitted candidate’s materials;
- The SID will support approximately 30 attendees for each of the Retreats; Resident and PhD programs respectively;
- Selected candidate’s will be notified via email in early February 2020;
- Candidate’s from institutions with both Resident and PhD Retreat nominees will be considered independently by the respective Retreat Committees.
ACCEPTED CANDIDATE’S RESPONSIBILITY
- Selected candidates are expected to stay for the balance of the week and attend the SID Annual Meeting;
- Registration to the SID Annual Meeting is not covered with acceptance to the Retreat;
- It is suggested that all candidates register to the SID Annual Meeting early, to take advantage of the reduced registration rates.
ACCEPTED CANDIDATE’S ROOMING RESERVATION
- The SID office will arrange for one (1) night of accommodations for the selected candidate, at the Westin Kierland Resort, which is the headquarter hotel;
- A rooming reservation at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa for Tuesday, May 12, will be made by the SID office;
- The rooming reservation at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa will be placed in selected candidates name;
- It is suggested retreat applicants wait for confirmation of acceptance to the retreat, before making rooming reservations at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa;
- Rooming reservations made through a third-party vendor for the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa, or any other property for Tuesday, May 12th will not be placed on our master account;
- The Westin reservations department does not have access to accommodations made through a third-party vendor. The Westin will be unable to place your Tuesday night stay on the SID master account;
- The SID will not cover any third-party rooming reservation charges for accommodations at the Westin or any other property, to be reimbursed if made through a third party (Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity);
- Rooming reservations for the Retreat must be at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa;
- Selected candidates will need to contact the Westin Kierland Resort directly after receiving confirmation of acceptance; to extend the candidates reservation for the balance of the SID Annual Meeting;
- The SID covers the expense for meals associated with the Retreat. Which includes a retreat welcome reception on Tuesday, May 12th, the Retreat breakfast and lunch on Wednesday, May 13.
RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CANDIDATE’S DEPARTMENT
- Departments must agree to pay for the selected candidates travel and/or flights to and from the Retreat;
- Selected Retreat attendees are expected to attend the SID Annual Meeting to reap the benefits of sustained exposure to the SID community;
- Registration to the SID Annual Meeting is not covered with acceptance to the retreat.
DEPARTMENTS NOMINATING MULTIPLE CANDIDATES
One of the Retreat goals is to achieve institutional diversity and introduce Residents to those from other programs. Dependent on the total number of applications received, we favor limiting attendance to only one (1) candidate per institution, per Retreat; although the nomination of multiple candidates will be considered.
- If more than one (1) Resident from the same institution is selected to attend, the respective department is required to pay all expenses associated with their attendance to the Retreat; including travel, lodging and retreat meals;
- Departments who have more than one (1) candidate accepted, will be invoiced post-SID Annual Meeting for the additional candidate’s attendance or the additional candidates attendance.
NOMINATION DOCUMENT’S REQUIRED FROM CANDIDATE
Ensure the candidate has the following documentation in advance of completing the online application
1) NOMINATION LETTER
- Departments Chair or Program Director describing candidate’s potential to be a physician-scientist or academician.
2) ABSTRACT OR A LETTER OF INTENT (LOI)
- Abstract that has been submitted to the 2020 SID Annual Meeting;
- Letter of Interest (LOI) detailing the candidates research interest and goals.
3) CANDIDATE’S BIOSKETCH
- Limited to two (2) pages.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATIONS
- All applications must be submitted online no later than Friday, January 31, 2020;
- Due to the limited space available for each Retreat; late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS?
- Visit the SID Annual Meeting Website for additional information on the Resident and PhD Retreats;
- Contact Deb Kovacs in the SID Office at 216.579.9300 x304.
HOW TO APPLY?
Submit the candidate’s complete and final documents for consideration through the submission link below.